Chemistry & Materials
The chemistry and materials science sector encompasses a uniquely diverse range of technologies. In order to meet the challenges this brings, the team at Reddie & Grose has a wealth of experience acquired from academia, industry and through our long-established relationships with existing clients.
Thanks to our flexible and commercially oriented approach, our clients range from start-ups and SMEs needing support through funding rounds, IPOs and product commercialisation through to multinationals relying on us to manage their global IP portfolios, challenge third party rights and extract the maximum value from their IP.
All of our team have backgrounds in chemistry, chemical engineering or materials science, and many have Masters and PhD level qualifications. The team also includes attorneys who have worked in industry as members of R&D or in-house patent teams.
Chemistry & Materials team
We work for multinational corporations, SMEs, universities and start-ups at the forefront of every aspect of the chemistry and materials science sectors:
- defending the polymer film patent portfolio of a global materials science company in multi-party proceedings before the European patent office (EPO);
- supporting a European producer of medical devices and hygiene products in a strategic revocation action before the EPO;
- prosecuting and advising on the European patent portfolio of a large multinational manufacturer of gypsum products;
- providing extensive freedom to operate opinions and strategic advice on encapsulated flavourants and fragrances for a large multinational company;
- managing the prosecution and defence of the European patent portfolio of a US-based manufacturer of dental materials, and working with a start-up to obtain protection for their ceramic coating process for use on dental and surgical implants;
- managing the European prosecution of US and Japanese originating patent portfolios in the fields of insecticides and miticides; display screen technology; catalysis and semiconductor technology;
- drafting and prosecuting patent applications for a UK SME specialising in adhesive, sealant and coating technology;
- managing the global IP portfolio of a large metallurgy company since the creation of their core technology more than 20 years ago;
- supporting an SME to obtain global patent protection for their platform technology relating to the electrochemical application of insulating coatings to metal components;
- assisting a university spin-out company to protect their electrochemical semiconductor processing technology.
Our attorneys have a wealth of experience across the chemistry and materials science disciplines, encompassing organic synthesis, inorganic chemistry, crystallography, homogeneous and heterogeneous catalysis, materials science, metallurgy, physical chemistry, electrochemistry, semiconductor technology, photochemistry, polymer science, functional materials and petrochemical technology.
Our diverse team includes attorneys with Masters and PhD level qualifications for example in the fields of metallurgy, materials science, organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry and chemical engineering. To bring a client’s perspective to our work, several members of the team have had positions in industry either in R&D or as in-house IP counsel, and some of the team have taken part in long term secondments to the IP department of one of our clients. We are also lucky enough to have a former USPTO examiner in the team, offering invaluable insight into the inner workings of the patent examination process.
The team excels in all aspects of drafting and prosecuting patent applications in the UK, Europe and around the world. Our extensive knowledge of working in both developed and emerging markets enables us to develop multijurisdictional patent strategies that are tailored to our client’s specific objectives.
In addition to obtaining patent rights, our attorneys have wide ranging experience of contentious matters before the European Patent Office representing both the patentee and opponent. A number of our attorneys also specialise in due diligence and advising on third party rights, and focus on providing clear and practical advice that is tailored to both the legal and commercial needs of our clients.