Dr. Phil Bates
Partner - London Office
Phil joined the firm in 1996 and became a partner in 2004.
Phil's practice is mainly in the chemical field with a particular focus on pharmaceuticals. His areas of expertise include reproductive medicine, urology, gastroenterology and the treatment of cancer. Phil also has extensive experience in product manufacture processes and technologies, particularly in the specialist fibre, plastic and foam product area. His expertise also encompasses medical devices, filtration and purification devices, solar panel technology, as well as the processing of fuels and materials.
Phil specialises in the drafting, filing and prosecution of patent applications before the UK and European patent offices. Phil has a broad range of experience of patent practice around the world, including practice in emerging markets. He regularly provides opinions on the strength of third party rights for his clients, and has an excellent track record in third party opposition and appeal proceedings before the European patent office. Phil’s clients include medium-sized pharmaceutical firms (based in Europe, the US, Japan and India) as well as small start ups.
Phil has a keen appreciation of all types of live music and is a keen member of his local Gramophone Recording Society; while recognising the place for digital media in the modern world he retains an affection for the warmth and crackles of vinyl.
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys
- Professional representative before the Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market (OHIM)
- Degree in chemistry, University of Bristol, 1992
- Doctorate in Medicinal Chemistry, UMIST (Synthesis and Bio-Availability Studies of an Anti-Tumour Drug), 1996
- European Patent Attorney, 2001
- Chartered Patent Attorney, 2001