Dr. Neil Thornton
Partner - Cambridge Office
Neil joined the firm in 1997 and became a partner in 2005. He practices mainly in biotechnological, pharmaceutical, and chemical patent work. He has particular experience in the fields of immunology, cancer, inflammation, analgesia, biomarkers, monoclonal antibodies, diagnosis and treatment of blood disorders, nucleic acid testing, and electrochemistry.
Neil acts for a wide variety of clients, including large multinational pharmaceutical companies, companies in the Cambridge area, and academic institutions. His practice involves the drafting, filing and prosecution of patent applications worldwide, the handling of oppositions at the European Patent Office, due diligence work, and advice on freedom to operate and general intellectual property strategy.
Neil is a keen amateur musician, and was a choral scholar at Selwyn College, Cambridge. He currently sings with Cambridge Voices.
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys
- Member, Eastern Region Biotechnology Initiative (ERBI)
- Member, European Practitioners in Intellectual Property (union)
- Degree in natural sciences (specialising in biochemistry and molecular biology), Cambridge University
- Doctorate in biochemistry (relating to the control of gene expression), Leicester University
- European Patent Attorney, 2001
- Chartered Patent Attorney, 2002
Other activities & achievements
- Lectured on intellectual property for the Master of Laws course at Cambridge University