Partner - London Office
Jan joined the firm in 1992 and became a partner in 1999. He previously worked as an examiner at the European Patent Office.
Jan is a European Patent Attorney, Chartered Patent Attorney, Patent Attorney Litigator and registered Trade Mark Attorney. Jan advises clients on the creation and enforcement of intellectual property rights.
Jan has a wide-ranging technical background having studied engineering science at Oxford University. Jan’s patent clients include companies in the aerospace, materials processing, nanotechnology, medical device and mechanical engineering industries.
Jan’s trade mark practice includes clients of all sizes. Jan has significant experience in prosecuting applications both in Europe and around the World. He regularly handles the planning for and resolution of trade mark conflicts and has considerable experience of settlement, consent and co-existence agreements on an international scale.
Jan has particular experience of small and medium sized clients who are building and enforcing intellectual property portfolios. He assists clients who are building portfolios and planning their research activities by evaluating third party rights and helping them identify opportunities and threats.
Languages include English, French, German, Portuguese, Spanish and Dutch.
As well as tennis, he enjoys rugby, cricket and cycling. Jan is a qualified cricket and rugby coach.
- Fellow and Council Member of the Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys (CIPA)
- Member, CIPA's Trade Mark Committee
- Member, Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys
- Member of the Trade Marks and Design Rights Research Expert Advisory Group of the UK Intellectual Property Office
- Deputy Chairman, CIPA Design and Copyright Committee
- Degree in Engineering Science, economics and management - Oxford University, 1989
- European Patent Attorney, 1996
- Chartered Patent Attorney, 1996
- Registered Trade Mark Attorney, 1998
- Professional representative before the Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market (OHIM)
- Patent Attorney Litigator, 2011
- The UK IP Bill – definition of proposed criminal offence tightened up so as to more clearly target only intentional close copies (January 2014)
- New UK Intellectual Property Law Bill - Criminalisation of the Copying of Registered Designs? (May 2013)
Other activities & achievements
- Search Examiner at European Patent Office, 1990/1992
- Strode prize for patent agent practice in UK Patent Final Examinations, 1995
- Past lecturer, Strasbourg University course for intending European patent attorneys
- Postgraduate Diploma in Intellectual Property Litigation (Commendation) - Nottingham University, 2008
- LLM in Intellectual Property Litigation (Commendation) - Nottingham University, 2010
- PG Certificate in Intellectual Property Litigation (Distinction) - Nottingham University, 2010